Need Help Getting Started with Everest in Java
Ryan_Habibi
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 5:10:36 PM(UTC)

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 0 time(s) in 0 post(s)
Hello out there!

First off I want to say congratulations on creating such a awesome framework. Looks like it's going to be (when I get up and running) an extremely powerful tool to have by my side.

Now this is where I swallow my pride and besiege you for help. I'm trying to learn Maven, CDA, and Everest all at the same time and re-learn Java (it's been a few years) so that I can implement a simple example of Everest in a java environment but I'm having some trouble getting started. I think I understand how to use the code but I'm failing at creating the project and importing references.

As far as I can tell I need to generate JAR files or find some other way to import the Everest "API" into my project. Any help would be appreciated as I'm feeling a little lost in the source at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Edit1:
I've used Maven to create JARs, mvn clean package command. I can include these JARs in my project but when I try to parse my data I'm still "getting Could not find a type to de-serialize 'ClinicalDocument' into" which I suspect is because my JAR files were created independently and don't relate to each other? Still working on it but advice very welcome.

Edit2:
I've narrowed it down to ClassEnumerator.loadGpmrPackages() returning null in the XMLIts1Formatter parse. I'm working on why this may be. I should note I am using Eclipse.
justin.fyfe1
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2013 4:01:00 PM(UTC)

Medals: Mobile Tech Grasshopper: Mobile Tech GrasshopperHealth Informatics MVP

Groups: Registered, Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Hi Ryan,

The Java version of Everest works just a wee bit different than the .NET version. When attempting to parse an object you first have to let the XmlIts1Formatter know which types it should expect (for some reason the classpath scanning is broken in Everest when packaged as Jars). Try adding this line of code:

Code:

XmlIts1Formatter formatter = new XmlIts1Formatter();
formatter.addCachedClass(ClinicalDocument.class);

Everest for Java is a work in progress. We're currently in the middle of a project to better document it and verify its functionality as we're integrating it with an EMR (using IHE XPHR and XDS-SD).

I am hoping to get a new Developer's guide made available by November which includes Java samples.

Thanks, and apologies for the long delay in replying.
1 user thanked justin.fyfe1 for this useful post.
Ryan_Habibi on 10/29/2013(UTC)